One of the most dangerous consequences of furnace damage is the buildup of carbon monoxide (CO) inside your home. CO is an odorless and colorless gas emitted by combustion processes. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), CO can reduce the oxygen delivered to vital organs, including the brain and heart. When CO levels in the air get too high, the effects can be fatal.
Gas Furnaces and Carbon Monoxide
Nearly every gas furnace produces CO, which is diverted away from the interior of the home via the ventilation system. As long as the furnace and ventilation are in top condition, there’s no need to worry about CO buildup inside the house. Keeping the furnace free of any debris or defect should also help minimize the risk of CO poisoning.
A dirty and inefficient furnace, on the other hand, will leak CO inside the home. The buildup may reach harmful levels without anybody realizing it due to the invisible and odorless nature of this gas. Clearly, every household needs to take this risk seriously and be proactive when it comes to furnace cleaning and maintenance.
What to Do
It’s important to have your furnace checked by a Maplewood, MN heating & air conditioning technician, especially if you have an old system at home, even if no one in your home has experienced symptoms of CO poisoning. A highly trained technician can find and address even the smallest signs of defects in your home’s heating system that may lead to bigger problems if left alone.
If you have a broken furnace, do not attempt a DIY fix just to get it up and running. Doing so increases the risk of deadly CO emission levels. Instead, call for professional Maplewood, MN furnace repair services immediately. Trust a leading service provider like Metro Heating & Cooling to send highly trained and thoroughly screened technicians to fix your damaged furnace.
(Source: Carbon Monoxide, EPA, undated)