The fact is: things break.
Often when you need them most.
Like you heating in winter, and your air conditioning in summer.
For low-income families, expensive home repairs can be devastating when you’re already struggling financially.
The good news is, through a federal program known as the Section 504 Home Repair Program, you might be eligible for a grant or low-interest loan to provide much-needed funds to repair or improve and update your home.
According to the USDA, if you’re the resident of a single-family home in Minnesota you may be eligible for the program if you meet the following criteria:
- You’re the homeowner and a current occupant of the home
- You’re unable to obtain affordable loans with reasonable rates from traditional sources, including banks and other lending institutions
- You have a combined family income that is below 50% of the area’s median income
- You’re 62 years old or older and unable to repay traditional financing terms
- Your home is located in a qualified area
To check if your community is included, visit the USDA’s program website for Minnesota.
How much could you get?
- The maximum amount of a loan is $20,000 and the maximum grant awarded is $7,500.
In some cases, a loan and grant can be combined for $27,500 total assistance.
What are the terms?
- Loans must be repaid over a 20-year term at a fixed rate of just 1%
- For loans over $7,500, they may hold the title of your home until the loan is repaid in full
Grants are generally not subject to repayment, however, if the property is put up for sale within three years of the grant’s issuance, repayment will be required.
If it is determined that applicants can pay some part, but not the total, they may be eligible for a combination of a loan and a grant.
Can I choose the HVAC repair company if I receive a loan or a grant?
- There are no limitations on who you may hire to handle your HVAC repairs or HVAC upgrade
It is always important when you are making any major home improvement like furnace repair or air conditioning repair to make sure you are hiring well-trained licensed heating and cooling professionals to do the job, such as the experts here at Metro Heating and Cooling in Minneapolis.
We cover Blaine, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park, Eagan, Edina, Hastings, Maplewood, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Roseville, North Saint Paul, Saint Paul, Saint Paul Park, South Saint Paul, Stillwater, West Lakeland, West Saint Paul, White Bear Lake, Woodbury, and many more locations.