Metro Heating and Cooling is here to help with all your heating, cooling, and Indoor Air Quality needs.
What should I do if my system is not heating?
If you have no heat or hot water, do a quick inspection of your heating system:
- Check the fuse or breaker at the electrical panel
- Check to see if the power switch is on at the furnace/boiler
- Check to see if the gas valve is on
- Check to see if your thermostat is on
If you have not isolated the problem, call Metro Heating and Cooling and we can diagnose the problem for you.
What is the life span of my furnace or boiler?
- Forced air furnaces last approximately 20 years
- Boilers last approximately 30 years
If your existing heating system is more than 15 years old, replace it with a new, more energy efficient model. Annual savings on the newest, energy efficient gas furnaces can be as much as 35% when compared to older units!
How often do I need to change my furnace filter?
- Standard filters should be changed every month
- Wide filters should be changed every 3 to 6 months.
- Electronic air cleaners and media filters can last up to a year
- Metro Heating & Cooling recommends changing filters more often to ensure optimum performance of equipment
How often should I have my furnace checked, or serviced and tuned?
- Furnaces less than 5 years old should be serviced every 2 years.
- Furnaces over 5 years old should be done every year.
- Boilers should be serviced every 2 years
What is the lifespan of an air conditioner?
- Central air conditioners normally last for about 15 years, though newer models may have a longer service life.
- The operating costs and repair costs for older inefficient models can add up, sometimes it is more affordable to replace your old system with new technology that will lower your electricity costs.
How can I improve the air quality in my home?
- The latest technology in air quality use ultraviolet-light and high-efficiency air filters to combat air pollution in your home. If allergies or asthma are a problem, you may want to invest in a heating and cooling system that reduces indoor air pollution and improves air quality.
- Metro Heating and Cooling offers systems with high-efficiency air cleaning with HEPA filters. HEPA removes most particles from the air.
How can I save on my monthly energy bill?
Your Furnace or boiler should be professionally cleaned and tuned once a year.
- If you have older, single pane windows, you can greatly benefit by sealing them with window film (3M brand or similar).
- Keep the temperature fairly constant, don’t over setback your thermostat. Frequent changes will use more energy.
- Clean or replace furnace filters once a month, or as needed.
- Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed. Make sure they are not blocked by furniture, carpeting, or drapes.
- Use kitchen, bath, and other ventilating fans wisely. Turn these fans off as soon as they are no longer needed. In about one hour, these fans can pull out a house-full of warmed or cooled air.
- Replace older HVAC equipment with newer, more energy efficient products. Any heating or cooling systems over 15 years old are costing you extra money that you could be saving annually (as much as up to 35%).