According to the CDC, Carbon Monoxide poisoning takes 500 lives every year.
While this may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things, we all know that even one death that could have been prevented is too many.
The loss of life through carbon monoxide poisoning shouldn’t happen because it is very preventable.
Something as simple as having a heating system tested each year by a qualified St. Paul HVAC contractor can ensure safety and health.
As soon as the fall months start to come upon us, many people are opting for carbon monoxide and safety tests to ensure their heating systems are in sound condition.
Signs Of Carbon Monoxide
If carbon monoxide is leaking from your furnace or another source, remember, it is odorless and it can’t be seen.
However, there are several other symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning that you should recognize.
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to get yourself and anyone else in the home outside as soon as possible.
Children may display symptoms before adults because they are smaller.
Recognizing the symptoms could save your life because some people have dealt with irreversible brain damage from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Unfortunately, many of the deaths were the result of carbon monoxide being released into the air while they were sleeping or intoxicated.
Inspections That Keep You Safe
The most common reason why a natural gas furnace may leak carbon monoxide is because the heat exchanger is cracked.
The heat exchanger is tubing or a metal wall that is heated when the burners are ignited.
Inside the heat exchanger, toxic flue gases produced from the burners are supposed to exhaust out through the flue.
If the heat exchanger is cracked, the gases don’t exit through the flue. Instead, they exit through the cracks.
The wall of the heat exchanger is the only thing separating deadly carbon monoxide from the air supply.
A crack can cause the carbon monoxide to escape into the supply side of the furnace, resulting in the odorless gas being blown throughout the home.
This very frightening scenario is why it is imperative to have the furnace inspected.
What does a Carbon Monoxide Inspection Involve?
At Metro Heating & Cooling, we will perform tests that ensure the furnace isn’t leaking carbon monoxide.
When we perform a test, we look at:
- Any carbon monoxide content in the air
- The heat exchanger
- Wires and hoses
- The vent system
- Combustion air pipe (if applicable)
Even if your furnace gets a clean bill of health now, it is good to have it inspected every year since things can easily change within a year.
By having us, your St. Paul HVAC contractor, come and do an inspection, you could be saving your family’s life, improving their health, and extending the life of your unit.
Carbon monoxide is deadly, which is why it’s important to test for it and eliminate any risks before something bad happens.
At Metro Heating & Cooling, it is our goal to keep you and your family safe.
To learn more, and book your appointment, Contact Us at (651) 294-7798 and request your free estimate now.