Your air conditioning unit is one of the most important pieces of equipment in your home. Not only does it keep you cool during the summer months, but it also helps to regulate the temperature and humidity levels all year round. That’s why ensuring your AC unit is serviced regularly is essential. But how often should you have it serviced? And what exactly happens during a service? Read on to find out more.
When Should Your Air Conditioner Be Serviced?
Getting your air conditioner serviced regularly is one of the best ways to keep it running efficiently and prevent costly repairs down the line. Depending on the type of air conditioner you have and the climate you live in, the servicing frequency can vary; you may need to service your AC more or less often.
In general, though, most manufacturers recommend that you have your AC unit serviced at least once or twice a year, preferably in the spring, before you start using it for the season. However, if you live in an area with a long cooling season or run your air conditioner frequently, you may need to service it more often.
Why Should You Have Your Air Conditioner Serviced?
Your air conditioner works hard to keep you cool all summer long, and just like any other machine, it needs regular maintenance to function correctly. The benefits of regular air conditioner servicing include:
- Extended lifespan of your AC unit
- Lower energy bills
- Fewer repairs
- Improved efficiency
- Improved indoor air quality
- Prevent costly repairs down the road
- Regular maintenance can help prevent unexpected breakdowns during the year’s hottest months
Signs That Your AC Needs to Be Serviced or Replaced
If you are experiencing any of the following signs, it is time to either replace or service your air conditioner:
- Odd noises –If you hear strange noises from your air conditioner, it may be a sign that something is wrong and needs to be fixed.
- Strange smells – An unpleasant smell coming from your air conditioner is another sign that there may be a problem.
- Low cooling power – If your air conditioner is not cooling your home as well as it used to, it may need to be serviced.
- High electric bills – If your electric bills have been getting progressively higher even though you haven’t changed your usage habits, it may be because your air conditioner is not working as efficiently as it should be.
- Water leaks – Leaks from your air conditioner can cause significant damage to your home, so if you notice any leaks, it is crucial to get them fixed immediately.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s best to call a professional AC service company to take a look. They can diagnose the problem and let you know if repairs or replacements are the best options.
What Does Servicing Entail?
AC servicing entails a technician visiting your home to inspect your AC unit and make necessary repairs or replacements. It generally includes a thorough inspection of your unit to check for any wear and tear, cleaning the unit’s coils and fans, checking the refrigerant levels, testing the electrical components, and lubricating moving parts. These simple tasks can significantly affect how well your AC runs. It’s also important to ensure it’s done correctly and by a professional to avoid damaging your AC unit.
The Benefits of Having an AC Maintenance Contract
If you want to ensure your air conditioner is always in good working condition, you might consider signing up for an AC maintenance contract. This type of agreement gives you peace of mind knowing that your unit will be serviced regularly, and it can also help you save money on repairs and replacements down the road. If you have a maintenance contract for your AC unit, servicing will be scheduled as needed and included in the contract’s price.
The following are some of the advantages of having an AC maintenance contract. It provides:
- Regular inspections to identify any potential problems before they become bigger issues and require more expensive repairs.
- Regular maintenance to ensure your AC is running at peak performance, which can, in turn, help to reduce your energy costs. Regular AC servicing can help improve your system’s efficiency by up to 30%, according to Energy Star.
- Preventative maintenance to clean and oil the unit, which can help it run more efficiently and save you money on your energy bills.
- Maintenance contracts often include discounted rates for repairs and parts replacement, so you can save money if something goes wrong with your AC unit.
- Contractors specializing in AC maintenance will have the necessary knowledge and experience to quickly identify and fix any problems with your unit, which can help avoid costly (and inconvenient) breakdowns.
- A technician who is familiar with your system can quickly help troubleshoot any problems that may arise.
Tips for Effective AC Maintenance
In addition to getting your air conditioner serviced by a professional, there are a few things you can do to keep it in good shape and running smoothly:
- Change the filter regularly. Depending on the type of filter you have, this may need to be done monthly or every few months
- Keep the area around the unit clean and clear of debris
- Make sure the vents are not blocked
- Keep the thermostat set to a consistent temperature
- Schedule regular servicing appointments
These simple tips can help improve your air conditioner’s efficiency and prevent costly repairs. If you’re still unsure how often to service your air conditioner or whether it needs to be replaced, you can contact a professional for help.
Need AC Servicing?
If you think your air conditioner needs to be serviced, don’t hesitate to call Metro Heating & Cooling. Our company takes pride in providing top-quality service to our customers—and we want nothing more than for you to be able to relax comfortably in your own home during the sweltering summer months.
We offer AC servicing, repair, and replacement services, and our team of experienced professionals can help keep your unit running smoothly all summer long. We also offer AC maintenance contracts, warranties, and discounts on repairs. Join our comfort club membership from as low as $12.99 per month and if you have any questions about air conditioner service or would like to schedule an appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We look forward to helping you keep cool!