Metro Heating and Cooling is here to help with all your heating, cooling, and Indoor Air Quality needs.
What should I do if my heating is not working?
If you have no heat or hot water, quickly inspect your heating system:
- Check the fuse or breaker at the electrical panel
- Check to see if the power switch is on at the furnace/boiler
- Check to see if the gas valve is on
- Check to see if your thermostat is on
If you have not identified the problem, call Metro Heating and Cooling at (651) 294-7798 and we can diagnose the problem for you.
What is the life span of my furnace or boiler?
In our experience:
- Forced air furnaces last approximately 20 years
- Boilers last approximately 30 years
However, if your existing heating system is more than 15 years old, you might be better off replacing it with a new, more energy efficient model.
Annual savings on the newest, energy efficient gas furnaces can be as much as 35% when compared to older units, making it a worthwhile investment.
How often do I need to change my furnace filter?
We recommend the following as a general rule of thumb when it comes to changing furnace filters:
- Standard filters – change every month
- Wide filters – change every 3 – 6 months
- Electronic air cleaners and media filters – change annually
However, depending on your usage, system and environment you might need to change filter more often.
If you’re not sure when you should change your filters, then call us at (651) 294-7798 and we’ll help you out.
How often should I have my furnace checked, or serviced and tuned?
We recommend the following as a general rule of thumb when it comes to getting your furnace checked, serviced and tuned:
- Furnaces less than 5 years old – every 2 years
- Furnaces over 5 years old – every year
- Boilers – every 2 years
What is the lifespan of an air conditioner?
We recommend the following as a general rule of thumb when it comes to the lifespan of your air conditioner:
- Central air conditioners normally last for about 15 years, though newer models may have a longer service life
It’s important to remember that the operating costs and repair costs for older inefficient models can add up.
Sometimes it is more cost effective to replace your old air conditioning system with a new one that will lower your electricity costs.
How can I improve the air quality in my home?
You can improve your indoor air quality to help reduce the amount of pollution in your home and to improve health.
The latest technology uses ultraviolet-light and high-efficiency air filters to combat air pollution in your home.
If you or other family members suffer from asthma or have allergies, you may want to invest in a heating and cooling system that reduces indoor air pollution and improves air quality.
Metro Heating and Cooling offers systems with high-efficiency air cleaning with HEPA filters. which remove most particles from the air.
Not sure what you need? Contact us at (651) 294-7798 now and tell us how we can help you.
How can I save on my monthly energy bill?
Your furnace or boiler should be professionally cleaned and tuned once a year to help reduce heating costs.
In addition, here re some other ways to save money on your monthly energy bill.
- Seal older, single pane windows them with window film (3M brand or similar) to reduce draughts
- Keep the temperature fairly constant – frequent changes will use more energy
- Clean or replace furnace filters once a month, or as needed
- Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed – keep them clear of furniture, carpeting, and drapes
- Turn off kitchen, bath, and other ventilating fans when no longer needed – they can can remove a house-full of warm or cool air in an hour
- Install new energy efficient HVAC equipment – systems over 15 years old could be costing you 35% more to run